This is a guide for businesses or individuals. It explains how to sell large-scale generation certificates (LGCs) through the open LGC market.
Use this information if you have created LGCs in the REC Registry for:
- Electricity generated by an accredited renewable energy power station using an eligible renewable energy source.
- An eligible solar water heater, heat pump or small-scale solar panel, wind or hydro system installed prior to January 1, 2011.
Most potential buyers will be liable entities (wholesale purchasers of electricity) who must buy LGCs in order to acquit their liability under the Large-scale Renewable Energy Target (LRET).
Why sell LGCs?
- To gain a financial benefit for eligible renewable electricity produced by accredited renewable energy power stations.
- To gain a financial benefit for an eligible small-scale system if installed prior to January 1, 2011.
Notes for selling LGCs
- Ensure your LGCs are correctly created and registered in the REC Registry.
- Buyers may be liable entities (usually electricity retailers) or LGC Traders, who specialise in the creation/sale/purchase of LGCs. You may find them by doing a web search for “LGC traders” or “REC traders”.
- Sale of LGCs is a contract for the sale of goods. Ensure there is proper paperwork accompanying the sale.
- The Clean Energy Regulator does not set the price of LGCs and does not get involved in disputes between buyers and sellers.
Process to sell LGCs in the REC Registry
- Find a suitable liable entity, LGC trader, or individual who will purchase your LGCs.
- Negotiate quantity, price and payment method with your purchaser/s.
- Enter into an agreement to sell your LGCs to a purchaser/s.
- Receive payment.
- Payment negotiations must be conducted outside of the REC Registry.
- The REC Registry does not have any payment facilities for the sale of LGCs through the market.
- Transfer LGCs to the buyer using the "REC Transfers" option in the REC Registry.
- Open the REC Registry and log in with your username and password.
- From the menu tabs at the top of the screen, select “REC Transfers” --> “Offer RECs for Transfer”:
- The “Offer RECs for Transfer page” will display:
- Find available LGCs. Use filters as appropriate to narrow your search.
- Find the Account Name of the purchaser. (Use “Search” if required, or type in the name in directly).
- Type in the number of LGCs to be transferred.
- Add in a note if desired.
- Click “Initiate Transfer”.
- Confirm the transfer by clicking “Confirm”:
- You will be returned to your Account Summary with a confirmation of the successful transfer:
- The transferred LGCs are listed in your “Account Summary”:
- When the receiving account accepts the transfer, the LGCs will be removed from your listing.
Date last updated: 28 Aug 2012